The National University of Malaysia (Universiti Kebangssan Malaysia or UKM) will open a branch campus in Doha this October, offering information technology, business management, sciences and engineering courses to both Qatari and expatriate students, Malaysian ambassador Zamshari Shaharan has announced.
The announcement came following the visit of Malaysia’s Minister of High Education Datuk Seri Noraini Ahmad to Qatar, who witnessed the agreement signing between UKM and its local partner, The Regional Group, to open Malaysia’s first offshore university campus.
“This is a milestone for Malaysian Higher Education and we are very happy with this achievement,” the envoy told reporters on the sidelines of the two-day Education Malaysia Fair in Doha.
Jureena Binti Noordin at the two-day event in Doha
Nine reputable Malaysian universities participated in the fair, organised by MY Aspiration (Malaysia) and led by Education Malaysia Dubai. It is supported by the Malaysian embassy in Doha. The two-day event provided students with extensive and insightful information on diverse and quality educational opportunities in Malaysia.
As one of the top public universities in Malaysia, Shaharan noted that UKM ranks 144th in the QS World University Rankings, and placed 33rd in Asia. It has 13 faculties and 12 institutes offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses in various fields. UKM is also home to more than 2,500 international students.
“This is a good opportunity for us to offer our programmes especially for Gulf countries,” said UKM’s Marketing head Jureena Binti Noordin, noting that the university’s Qatar campus at Fereej Al Soudan is set to welcome its first batch of students this October.
UKM is one of five research universities in Malaysia that aims to be a regional leader in academic and research excellence. It also partnered with various organisations around the world to further enhance its academic and research capabilities.
The Regional Group, founded more than 50 years by the late Sheikh Khalifa bin Abdul Aziz al-Thani, focuses on achieving sustainable growth through a balanced diversity of activities. Its executive management is now led by Sheikh Abdul Rahman bin Khalifa al-Thani.
BOX: UKM Qatar branch campus
* Intake: October 2022
* Admissions to open: July/August 2022
* List of programmes offered by faculty
1. Faculty of Sciences and Humanities
- Bachelor of Social Sciences with Honours (Political Science)
- Bachelor of Social Sciences with Honours (Developmental Science)
- Bachelor of Social Sciences with Honours (Media Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours (English Language Studies)
2. Faculty of Economics and Management
- Bachelor of Economics with Honours
- Bachelor of Business Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation with Honours
3. Faculty of Law
- Bachelor of Law with Honours
4. Faculty of Information Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Honours
- Bachelor of Software Engineering with Honours (Information System Development)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering with Honours (Multimedia System Development)
5. Faculty of Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (Actuarial Studies)