Saudi suspect in 1996 anti-US bombing ‘captured’
August 26 2015 10:52 PM
RELATED STORIES

Agencies/Dubai

The main suspect in the 1996 bombing of the Khobar Towers residence at a US military base in Saudi Arabia has been captured after nearly 20 years on the run, a Saudi-owned newspaper reported yesterday.
Asharq al-Awsat said Ahmed al-Mughassil, leader of the Hezbollah al-Hejaz who had been indicted by a US court for the attack that killed 19 US service personnel and wounded almost 500 people, had been captured in Beirut and transferred to Riyadh.
Saudi authorities said they were looking into the report but did not provide further information.
A Lebanese security source said that Mughassil, a Saudi national, had been detained in Lebanon and transferred to Saudi Arabia around two weeks ago and that he was considered by Riyadh as the top suspect in the case.
Saudi Arabia and the United States have accused Iran of orchestrating the truck-bomb attack. Iran has denied any responsibility.
Asharq al-Awsat quoted official Saudi sources as saying Saudi security personnel had received information about the presence of 48-year-old Mughassil in Beirut.
“The discovery of Mughassil and his arrest in Lebanon and his subsequent transfer to Saudi Arabia is a qualitative achievement, for the man had been in disguise in a way that made it hard to identify him,” Asharq al-Awsat said, without elaborating on when he was captured and who captured him.
The FBI has offered a reward of up to $5mn for information leading directly to his apprehension or conviction.
In 2006, a US federal judge ordered Iran to pay $254mn to the families of 17 US service personnel killed in the attack in a judgment entered against the Iranian government, its security ministry and the Revolutionary Guards after they failed to respond to a lawsuit initiated more than four years earlier.
The 209-page ruling had found that the truck bomb involved in the attack was assembled at a base in Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley operated by Hezbollah and the Revolutionary Guards, and the attack was approved by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.   
In a separate case, a court in Jeddah jailed another Saudi for nine years on a conviction of spreading extremist and “terrorist” ideology on Twitter, the Al Riyadh daily reported yesterday.
He was also found guilty of calling for protests to demand the release of detainees held in cases linked to “national security” matters, it said, without identifying him.

Last updated:


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore